Thursday, January 1, 2009

EGGS and The Atkin's Diet - Good or Bad??

eggs:]] Pictures, Images and Photos

I have lived most of my life in the UK, brought up in an affluent neighbourhood in the suburbs of Kingston Upon Hull. Eric, (my husband) on the other hand, has lived in several different countries around the world, but spent his childhood years in his home country of Lebanon, in the Middle East.

Photobucket

I have come to realise, over time, that we have both been brought up very differently. Culturally we are both quite diverse but over time have learnt to become quite accepting of one another's different "quirky behaviours and customs".

UK Pictures, Images and Photos

We are both fairly liberal minded and can accept most things that are culturally different or unusual in our marriage. However, when it comes to foods there are several things that I cannot bring myself to do. Perhaps its because my parents influenced my mind so strongly when I was a child, but I cannot bring myself to eat RAW EGGS, like Eric does, raw meat, or various parts of chicken offal!

Now the reason for this blog is that, by chance I came across an article about the humble egg. It got me thinking about the amazing versatility of this food, its never ending debate about its health effects and the many ways that it is used and eaten.

I asked Eric about eggs, his reasons for eating them raw and why he had such an EGG FETISH??!!

The story goes:-

As a child he and his brother adored eggs (still do). At their most prolific egg eating, his brother could eat 15 eggs in one sitting!… Eric not as many.

In Middle Eastern families it is usual to keep livestock, usually hens and chickens for their daily eggs. This means always knowing exactly what the hens are fed. Free range, organic and a way of life. Eggs are plentiful and very nutritious particularly eaten raw.

Photobucket

Eric only eats raw eggs straight from the hen, still warm. He insists that they are extremely healthy and this practise is quite normal in the Middle East.

Photobucket

 

Living round the world, it would seem Asians like their eggs too and have them regularly as side dishes.

The British traditionally eat eggs at breakfast time, usually fried with thin cut bacon, sometimes smoked.

Photobucket

The Brits also seem to enjoy pickled eggs, traditionally served in pubs with a pint…..like these!!

Photobucket

In Canada several eggs with thick cuts of fried ham are served with hash browns and mushrooms.

Ham and Eggs Pictures, Images and Photos

Bizarrely, in the UK, the famous saying "go to work on an egg" has been banned by the Broadcasting Advertising Clearance Centre as it is said to encourage people to eat an unvaried diet!! I think that is ridiculous!

Are eggs that unhealthy anyway? Eggs are a good source of protein, rich in vitamin B12 and are regarded very highly by Atkins diet users.

Another reason for this blog I suppose is to CELEBRATE the humble egg, I have a lot to be thankful for, let me explain.

Last July Eric started the Atkins Diet, he had a hell of a lot of weight to loose. Life was tough for him. Together, and I say together, because I think I know more about the Atkins diet than he does, we planned our weight loose route!

Basically he only ate what I gave him, only drank what I poured him and didn't cheat….to my knowledge!

atkins Pictures, Images and Photos

The basis of the Atkins diet is to cut very dramatically carbohydrate (carbs) intake. This was Eric's second attempt at the diet so I had a good idea what to expect.

High Carbohydrate Pictures, Images and Photos

It REALLY does seem to work, he followed the diet and he did loose the weight. He still is loosing weight…

The theory behind the Atkins diet is that eating meat, fish and EGGS suppresses hunger, in conjunction with cutting down on carbs like potatoes, bread and pasta.

So I am here to say Eric eats 4 eggs daily, 3 slices of bacon fried in butter, sometimes a mushroom. He absolutely LOVES his breakfast and would be devastated if he had to follow the UK guidelines…….7 eggs maximum a week.

Since following the Atkins diet, Eric's blood pressure has come down considerably,

High Blood Pressure Pictures, Images and Photos

his cholesterol has returned to normal (contrary to the egg theory) and the weight continues to drop, I am positive due to the ATKINS diet.

Weight scales Pictures, Images and Photos

I cannot speak from experience here because those who know me will know I have no need to diet - I never have, but I can certainly FEEL this diet suits Eric. He is happy in his dieting, I am happy because I am supervising his food intake, he is so positive with the rapid weight loose, I am very proud of him.

Atkins diet Pictures, Images and Photos

For those who are dieting… keep going with what's right for you, try ATKINS and promote the EGG

For those who are not…..LONG LIVE THE EGG!! And be thankful you do not have to diet!

eggs Pictures, Images and Photos

So when I read back this jumbled blog, I think what I am trying to say is:-

I don't think eggs are bad for you….of course you need to observe cooking instructions and use a little common sense but all in all a PERFECT nutritional food.

Secondly, I think the egg is very valuable in the Atkins diet, but the media have done a nice job of discrediting its value. Shame really as Eric is proof that eggs work to his advantage in this diet.

Third - I would like to know your thoughts on eggs, do you like eggs, do you eat them raw, do you think 7 eggs a week is too many? Do you have a secret egg fetish??

Finally, those who know me, know that I DETEST eggs, but I cook them lovingly for my darling husband every day! J

Photobucket

Thanks for reading, have a great night.

Cinnamon, Sue Raphael's Mum

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment