Thursday, January 1, 2009

Me and Libraries

In Praise of Libraries

This story illustrates a trait that runs in our family and I dearly hope it continues for generations to come.

What are you talking about I might hear you ask?

I'm talking STORYTIME, that quality time we spend with our children reading and helping them develop. I love that special closeness I get to my child, the cuddling and the laughter whilst we read together.

I need to thank one person in particular, to thank her very sincerely for showing me that first book to read.. ohhh eh how many years ago?! That person is my mother… her enthusiasm for books and reading has rubbed off onto me and I am grateful for that.

Remembering fondly now, my frequent outings to the local library with my younger brother and mother. We loved the colourful books and the stories that we knew we would be taking home. My brother and I were also lucky enough to have a magazine delivered weekly, we always waited for it eagerly to drop through the letter box. Then fighting to see who got to read it first! I remember it well "Once Upon A Time".

By the time I reached 13, I had become a precocious teenager, I was reading less, and my English wasn't that great either. There were more interesting things to get my teeth into than reading!

Time passed, I married and 3 of my 4 children were born, Sally, Peter and Lizzy. As my mother had done before, I took my crew to the local library for fun times and borrowing books. Each child could borrow 5 books for 3 weeks. You can imagine the chaos trying to find 15 library books on the day they were due back, searching everywhere and always loosing just ONE that seemed to have hid itself very well!
The girls loved reading and being read too, Sally read anything you put in front of her and still does today, (don't you Sally??)….Peter was not so enthusiastic, at quite a young age the only thing that he would selectively read was the sports pages of the newspaper, or the Ceefax pages on the television! I suppose it didn't matter what he read, as long as he read something!

When the children were growing up we took a daily newspaper, The Guardian, it often went astray before us parents even saw it, Peter for the sport, Sally and Lizzy for the TV guide and front Page. I am glad the whole family got good use out of that newspaper.

Getting back to the story, ….when Sally was 4, Peter 3 and Lizzy just a wee baby, I had a bright idea!

I had heard of an organisation called 'Play Matters' http://www.natll.org.uk/ and had read some articles relating to Toy Lending Libraries.

"What a fantastic idea, I thought, now to investigate if there was such a thing in Hull." I was very disappointed, to find no Toy Lending Libraries existed in Hull.

My bright idea…to set up a Toy Lending Library for the local community in Hull, so not only would my children benefit but also others in the area.

At the time Telethon funding was available to small voluntary projects, I was fortunate and was given a large grant to buy toys for the library.

I had a close friend, also a mother of 3 small children as my partner, she had the same enthusiasm and motivation as I did for this project. With 6 pre-school children between us and setting up the library life was like a rollercoaster …up and down all the way!!

Eventually, The See-Saw Toy Library was opened in a room within the Adult Education Centre across the road from where we lived. The then serving Lord Mayor of Hull provided an excellent opening ceremony for us and the local press recorded our proud moments in print. A superb cake was generously donated by the local baker in the shape of a seesaw. All the children loved it. Volunteers came forward and we developed and promoted the library for birth to pre-schoolers, charging £1.00 for membership and a token lending fee to pay for additional toys.

By the time both Sally and Peter (the two older children) were in school, it became very difficult for me to juggle all three children, school runs and the toy library effectively. My only option was to find a replacement for myself. I was sad to leave, but extremely happy that another mother volunteered to take my role. Later I heard the library had moved to the local school and was still very well attended.

Now, Raphael,

Photobucket

my youngest son, is 4 years old and is following his siblings reading habits. History is repeating itself, books and reading figure very highly in Raffi's "favourite activities". We read books daily and he constantly asks questions, and is beginning to recognise words. We do have a lot of fun but he is at the age where he likes a book read to him over and over again, I often find myself yawing after reading a particular book several times!

About 6 months ago, I thought it was about time we joined the Central Book Lending Library in Hull. I was totally bowled over by what I found when I arrived. I had not been in this library for many years and things had changed dramatically. No longer was it just books, but now there is a wide selection of toys and games available to play with as well as many different activities for Raffi and I to do. The children's library was warm, comfortable and welcoming. I noticed the large carpeted areas with plenty of floor cushions and the many piles of magazines for the adults to read. All very inviting. A wide variety of musical instruments sat in a corner of the room…..Raffi paradise!! Tables with colouring books and crayons sat between the aisles of books and DVD's. They even had computers for the use of the children, how times have changed.

Raffi usually makes his own choice when borrowing books, even at this age he is quite selective. A book I think he would like, might not necessarily be what he wants. I am aware he is young and only influenced by the front covers of books, so sometimes I do intervene. But on the whole it's his decision.

Going to the library is a super adventure for any small child, I am grateful that I am able to offer Raffi this pleasure and I know he thoroughly enjoys it every time, like I did as a child.

Just curious to know…

Do you visit the library and does your library have toys to play with?
What sort of books does your child like?
Do you read regularly with your child/children?

Finally I found this interesting fact whilst researching this blog…

There is approximately one library book for every person on earth!

Thanks for reading, have a great weekend J

Cinnamon
Sue-Raphael's Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment